As I ride on the train somewhere in DE en route to Washington I can't help but think of how grown up my little boy is becoming. I was only home for a little over 36 hours or so this weekend (after being gone for 5 straight days) and was reminded many times that my baby is no longer...he is now a full fledged toddler. It is scary. It is wonderful. It is full on exhausting. Below are a few tid bits from the weekend (and perhaps a few updates from earlier in the week too....) that may help explain.
1) Luke "pooped" on the potty!!! March 3, 2012
So, first, I should be clear that it wasn't the potty....It was the real toilet at Aunt TT's house. I should also be clear that first, Luke pooped in his diaper (we could tell by the, uh, interesting faces he was making about 5 minutes prior) and then yelled to sit on the "pot" (he just calls it the POT! haha). Once he sat on the "pot" he concentrated for a few seconds and then a little "deposit" was made at the bottom of the toilet (I tried to warn you at the beginning of this post that there would be questionable subject matter!). Tom seems to think this was a, um, "leftover" from his diaper filling...but me and Aunt TT like to think that he really went on the "pot"!!!
He was SO EXCITED. He did a little dance and then washed his hands. I am so proud.
Since then he has asked to use the "pot" twice. Both times he has sat and nothing has happened. He is a huge fan of flushing and washing his hands.
I find this to be VERY EARLY to start potty training....especially since he is a BOY! And my plan was to wait for the summer when I can let him "run free" for a few days outside thus hopefully lessening the carpet cleaning. But if he wants to start now, so be it! I will place him on the "pot" whenever his little heart desires.
This should be interesting.
2) I was wrong. Month 22 is just as bad as Month 21.
Hitting. Kissing. Kicking. Stomping. Hugging. Smashing. Throwing. "Wuv U."
This, my friends, is the world of a toddler. Constantly changing emotions. From Hitting to Hugging and Kicking to Kissing. All in the matter of 2 minutes. Seriously.
It is such a whirlwind.
Once minute I want to run from the house screaming "My son has anger issues, get me away!!!" to tears streaming from my face because Luke randomly comes up to me and kisses me on the cheek and gives me a huge hug screaming "Mummmy!!!".
I was just reassured by my mom today that this, too, is a face and it will pass.
But what will the next phase hold?!
And how do I handle the hitting and screaming and throwing?!
Parenting is so hard.
Parenting is so rewarding.
It is the ultimate dichotomy.
3) Kitchen Remodel 2012 has begun!
I am sure all of you know that we currently rent our house from Tom's parents (disclaimer: they do not live with us and bought this property in 2008 as an investment).
For some time now, Tom's mom has been wanting to remodel the kitchen.
Now is that time.
Last Thursday was that time to be exact.
When I was on a business trip to DC.
I came home on Friday night to a ripped apart kitchen.
No sink.
No floor.
New walls.
Half a ceiling.
Tom kept it a secret since construction started 2 weeks ahead of schedule and a)he didn't want me stressing about not being there to pack away the cabinets and organize and b)he knows I love surprises.
And he couldn't have been more right!!
I was thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!
And I would have been stressing the entire week I was away if I knew he had to pack everything away by himself.
So, kitchen remodel 2012 is underway. There was a lot of take out, restaurant visits and quick runs to Grandmom's house to do a load of dishes. Overall adjusting to life sans kitchen has been easy. And I love how every time Luke steps foot into the kitchen he screams "WHOA!!!" and "Sink????"
I can't wait to get home on Tuesday night and see the progress!!!
The way his face looks when he is sleeping. Like an angel.
The way he loves to eat with a utensil. The concentration on his face when he is trying to stab a noodle with his fork.
The way he looks at his Daddy. He has this playful, daddy-you-are-the-coolest-in-the-world, look.
The way he chugs his milk or water. He usually puts a hand behind his back and holds the cup straight into the air.
The way he loves to play with blocks. He is fascinated by how they interlock and attach to each other. Look how high he can go!
The way he says "Mummmmy!", always with a smile on his face.
The way he puts his head on my shoulder whenever I pick him up.
The way he tucks his hands under his chest when I am holding him while I rock him before his nap.
It is moments like these that make the Hitting, Kicking, Smashing and Throwing worth it.
This is what it is all about.





No comments:
Post a Comment