Friday, May 11, 2012

Idle thoughts from the Acela....

Well, friends, I find myself again on the Amtrak Acela train from DC to Philadelphia.  Here's what I am thinking on this trip:

1) I DID IT!!!! I ran a 10 mile race and didn't have to stop to walk.  I RAN 10 MILES.  And I felt amazing.  I seriously think I could have run more! I had a smile on my face the entire race.  It was beautiful.  It was exhilarating.  I felt unstoppable.  Invincible.  There were people on every corner cheering and high five-ing.  There were random bands playing music.  People holding sings that read "You have Stamina.  Call Me!".  It was un-real.  The Temple Football team lined the streets and cheered us on.  I felt like a super-star. 

And at Mile 7 I saw my boys.  Tommy and Luke cheering  me on and yelling my name.  I stopped and gave them a very quick hug and kiss (I couldn't lose my stride!) and waved good-bye.  And then I was rejuvenated for the last 3 miles. 

It was the BEST experience and I hope to do it again next year.  Thank you, Broad Street Run, for helping me prove to myself that "I still got it!"!!!

Post Race.  Feeling Good!

2) Super Dad.

I married Super Dad.  Seriously.  Tom is the most amazing man I have ever known.  He is supportive and kind.  He is a great listener.  And he understands our son like no one else.  I have traveled A LOT over the last year.  And Tom has given 110% to make sure that my traveling didn't interrupt our lives.  He cooks.  He cleans.  He does laundry.  And best of all, he makes Luke feel like I am not even gone.  They have a routine.  Just the two of them.  And it melts my heart. 

Tom - you are amazing.  I am so grateful for all that you have done for our little family.

3)  The Terrible (urghhh...I mean....TERRIFIC) Twos.

My friends, we may still be 1 week away, but we have officially entered the TWOs.  Some days the TWOs are terrific.  Other days they are TERRIBLE. 

The scariest part of the TWOs is that Luke understands how to get a reaction out of us.  And he uses this knowledge to get what he wants.  He knows that I will make him a grilled cheese if he refuses to eat the healthy ground turkey and vegetable dinner I have given to him.  And he plays it up.   He WHINES and STOMPS and THROWS the said healthy dinner on the floor and screams for PIA CHEEEEE (Piece of Cheese or Grilled Cheese). 

He knows that I will come into his room at night and rock him if he screams "MUUUMMMEEEEYYYY" long enough from the corner of his crib. 

If he wants something he gets it.  And I just don't have the energy to say "no" most times.  This must come to a stop. 

I have been getting better.  I let him scream "MUUUMMMMEEEYYY" for at least 7 good, solid minutes before I go up to his bedroom now.  I serve the healthy dinner NEXT to a half of grilled cheese to encourage eating both. 

But after working 8+ hours and cooking, cleaning, and commuting to work I am just plain tired! So, the TWOs may be more terrible than terrific at the moment.

But I know they will get better. 

The next 3 weeks will be filled with more traveling, Luke's 2nd Birthday Party in PA, Luke's 2nd Birthday in MA, the Baldi Run (YAY!!!), visiting with our wonderful MA family, and a trip to AZ to celebrate 2 of our wonderful friends' wedding celebration.  Hopefully I will find time between on this FUN to post some updates!

Luke decided to drag some pillows into the kitchen to lounge and read his book.
On the way home from the Broad St Run.  Apparently watching Mommy run is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment